Design is just so important in the iPhone and iPad app stores. Fact is, there’s a lot of useless apps in the app store that you would never open more than once unless you were showing them to a friend — that have been massively successful.
It is hard to find good tips on how to do this. Most designers seem to do everything so naturally, and will just tell you it takes hours and hours of practice. Few designers can really break the process of design into something that you can comprehend even if you’re a design newcomer.
Ten Easy App Tutorials
1. Introduction To iPhone Design – a discussion of the differences between desktop and mobile software design.
2. iPhone And iPad Design Templates And How To Use Them – How to format your graphics for the iPhone and iPad displays, and how to adjust them for the different display sizes.
3. Designing Apps That Use All Available iPhone Functionality – A discussion of iOS device features such as gestures, the accelerometer, and gps are implemented in well designed apps.
4. How To Design For Different Types of iPhone Apps – A look at many well designed iPhone apps, and what makes them work.
5. The Mobile Design Process – An overview of some good things to think about when designing an iOS app.
6. The Pros And Cons Of Apple Default Vs. Custom Graphics – How to determine when to use the default design of iOS components, and when to roll your own design.
7. Understanding Your Apps Target Audience – Some questions you can ask yourself in order to create an app better designed for your target market.
8. Killer Tips For iPhone And iPad Design – A useful checklist to go through for bettering your app’s design.
9. Top 5 Tips For Wireframing And Paper Prototyping – A collection of tips for improving the prototyping process.
10. How To Sell Well Designed Apps With Better Screenshots – A tutorial outlining how Jen creates great looking screenshots for her apps.